June 1, 2013

May 2013 Favorites & Fails

The month of May has come and gone and I am excited to share my monthly favorites and fails! Since shifting my focus mainly to my blog, I thought these posts would be a fun way to document my beauty routine while sharing beloved products (and not so beloved products) with others.

Just a quick disclaimer, the products featured have all been used by me and use is quite apparent in the pictures. I was going to pretty up all the products but this is what they look like in my makeup storage and how they look after I've used them. So this is an uncensored edition of Favorites and Fails.  ;)

May Favorites

Covergirl 3 in 1 Outlast Stay Fabulous foundations

My foundation of choice for May was Covergirl's 3 in 1 Outlast Stay Fabulous foundation. I had a difficult time selected the correct shade in stores and after reading/watching several reviews, I realized I originally picked up a shade that was way too dark. I ended up with 832 (Nude Beige) which was a little on the light side and 842 (Medium Beige) which is about right for now. I was mixing the two together to use up the 832 and the result was still a very wearable shade.

The finish is more towards the matte side but still makes the skin look (and feel) fresh. It applies smoothly with my fingers or with a brush. It lasts throughout my workday when set with powder and needs very little touching up. I'm sure I will be reaching for this product in months to come!

Physicians Formula Sexy Booster Sexy Glow Bronzer in Light & MAC Mineralized Skinfinish  in Shimpagne

I have been LOVING the Physicians Formula Sexy Booster Sexy Glow Bronzer. Could they have given it a longer name?! It is a beautiful color that leaves a truly golden glow. Plus it is a drugstore products that I scooped up as a B1G1 along with a blush. 

MAC Mineralized Skinfinish in Shimpagne is my absolute favorite highlighter. It also leaves a beautiful golden glow with a slight peachiness that goes great with many blushes and warms up my complexion. I picked this up at a CCO several years ago. So I'm not sure this is available anymore.
Coastal Scents BR-C-S42


Next up is my favorite undereye concealer brush. It's the BR-C-S42 aka the Classic Pointed Precision Synthetic brush from Coastal Scents. I had been eyeing the Precision Kit from Sigma Beauty but I do not have $65 to spend on a set of five brushes. The Coastal Scents brush retails for $4.95 and it works like a charm! My concealer blends perfectly and the bristles are super soft while still keeping the brush's shape. 

Revlon Grow Luscious Lashliner in Onyx

I picked this liner up during a previous CVS Beauty Clearance Sale and started using it on a whim. It is great for lining the upper waterline which is a must for my beauty routine. The color is a rich black and it makes my lashes appear thicker. 

May Fails


Maybelline Colossal Volum' Express Cat Eyes mascara
My two fails for May are both Maybelline mascaras. I tried both the Colossal Volum' Express Cat Eyes and the Rocket Volum' Express. I just could not get the formulas to work for me and both did little to nothing for my lashes. The waterproof formula was the only somewhat positive. Both did last all day but were nightmares to remove.

Maybelline Rocket Volum' Express mascara

That about does it for my May favorites and fails. What were you loving in May? What products did not work for you? What products are you looking forward to trying in June?






*All products featured were purchased with my own money unless otherwise stated. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my very own.






No comments:

Post a Comment