July 20, 2013

Mini Review: Maybelline Fit Me Shine-Free Foundation Stick

Something about foundation just draws me in. The packaging, the claims and the fantasy of finding a product that can perfect your skin upon application, I just get suckered in.  Fortunately, widely available drugstore brands have been stepping up their game and releasing affordable foundations. 

I recently picked up the new Maybelline Fit Me Shine-Free Foundation Stick at my local Target. Maybelline describes this foundations as "lightweight gel foundation with an anti-shine powder core" that "instantly dissolves excess oil, for a perfect matte finish". It is available in twelve shades and retails for $6.99.


Maybelline Fit Me Shine-Free Foundation in 310 Sun Beige
The packaging is simple and great for travel or throwing in your bag. There is worrying about foundation spilling everywhere and application does not require a brush. Shade selection was tricky because the product is only visible through the top of the tube. The anti-shine core has either a pink or yellow undertone, depending on the shade. The shades from the previous Fit Me line do not translate to this product. I wear number 220 in the regular liquid foundation but purchased number 310 in the stick formula. Keep in mind that the shades of the stick formula run on the lighter side.


Shade 310 Sun Beige swatch (natural light, no flash)
I have been using this product for about a week in extremely warm weather (mid 80 degrees to mid 90 degrees).  I don't feel that this product has any additional mattifying properties in comparison to other foundations geared toward oily skin. The coverage is light can be built up to a light-medium at most. I apply the product directly to my face and blend it out with my fingers. It does not feel heavy on the skin and sets to a matte finish with a silky, powdery feel. This does not last throughout the day though and I set my makeup with additional powder.

Overall, I would not suggest running out right this minute to purchase this foundation. For beginners and those looking for light coverage, this product is a great option. It also is easy and quick for the warmer months and for those who travel frequently but it certainly does not live up to its claims. There are several other drugstore foundations out there that provide the final look I prefer.


My rating: 2.5 out of 5










*Products featured in this post were purchased with my own money.  As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment